RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team
RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team
RECOVERED Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RECOVERED Forum

A place to discuss metal detecting, civil war relic hunting, and treasure hunting overall.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Union Government Buttons

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
R&R
Admin
R&R

Union Government Buttons Empty
PostSubject: Union Government Buttons   Union Government Buttons I_icon_minitime11/8/2009, 4:31 pm

Union Buttons are more commonly found compared to their counterpart Confederate buttons. There were more of them manufactured simply because the Union had a better financial means than the Confederacy.

Confederate soldiers would sometimes steal a coat from a dead Union soldier if he needed one as well as other necessities. This meant that Confederate soldiers would have been wearing Union gear but you would hardly see a Union soldier adorning anything Confederate.

The most common of Union buttons are the General Service Eagle Button. This device consists of an Eagle with a shield on its breast with arrows in one talon and an olive branch in the other. Depending on the soldier's job, there also could be a letter in the shield to determine the soldier's duty. For example, A is for artillery, C is for cavalry, D is for Dragoon, I is for Infantry, and R is for Rifleman.

This is a grouping of General Service Eagle buttons. The button in the middle is a General Service Infantry button. These buttons were recovered in Tennessee. All of these buttons have a blank button back with no backmark.
Union Government Buttons Dsc00517

This button is a General Service Eagle C Cuff Calvary button. The backmark is "T.N. Dale and Co. *S.N.Y.*" This button was recovered in Tennessee.
Union Government Buttons Dsc00520

Last edited by R&R on 11/9/2009, 2:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://researchandrecovery.forumotion.net
Brian
Staff
Brian

PostSubject: Re: Union Government Buttons   Union Government Buttons I_icon_minitime11/9/2009, 1:54 pm

US Calvary Coat GOODARD & BRO / * EXTRA * bmk

Union Government Buttons Dscn1210

Staff Officer kepi buttons EXTRA / * QUALITY * bmk

Union Government Buttons Dscn1211
Back to top Go down
crashbro17x
crashbro17x

PostSubject: Re: Union Government Buttons   Union Government Buttons I_icon_minitime2/3/2010, 11:58 am

Here are 3 of many I have found.

Union Government Buttons N184103453_31506172_3010548
Union Government Buttons N184103453_31506173_3743268

Union Government Buttons N184103453_31524396_7626234
Union Government Buttons N184103453_31524397_2672940

Union Government Buttons N184103453_31326946_4814
Union Government Buttons N184103453_31326951_1389
Back to top Go down
http://crashbros.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Union Government Buttons   Union Government Buttons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Union Government Buttons
Page 1 of 1