RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team
RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team
RECOVERED Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RECOVERED Forum

A place to discuss metal detecting, civil war relic hunting, and treasure hunting overall.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Not recently dug but recently ID'd

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jamt225
jamt225

Not recently dug but recently ID'd Empty
PostSubject: Not recently dug but recently ID'd   Not recently dug but recently ID'd I_icon_minitime12/13/2009, 9:37 pm

I have been trying to ID a object found at the site of Patrick Henry's Birthplace back in the 70's when I first started detecting around 71 or 72. My uncle owned the property at the time and no one cared and few still do about the property or history. As yet no archeological dig or study has been done and the land is still being farmed. My uncle did sell the property about 10 years ago to a preservation group.

Finally on Google image search with the word "Justly" and "Medallion" I found it!

And it turns out to be quite interesting

It's a 1746 "Battle of Culloden" Medallion, or what's left of one

John Henry, Patrick Henry's father was from Aberdeen Scotland and immigrated to the Virginia Colony in 1720. Having found this piece at his home site, one has to wonder if Patrick got his passion for rebellion and dislike of the British Monarchy from the teachings, and experience of his father? Now how did the 1746 piece make it to Virginia from Scotland or England into the possession of the Henry's?

Here's more info if anyone is interested.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Henry was born in Studley, Hanover County, Virginia on May 29, 1736.[2] His father was John Henry, an immigrant from Aberdeenshire, Scotland, who had attended King's College, Aberdeen before immigrating to the Virginia colony in the 1720s.[3] Settling in Hanover County, about 1732 he married Sarah Winston Syme, a wealthy widow from a prominent Hanover County family of English ancestry.[4] Patrick Henry was once thought to have been of humble origins, but he was actually born into the middle rank of the Virginia gentry.[2] Henry attended local schools for a few years, and then was tutored by his father. After failing in business, in 1754 he married Sarah Shelton, with whom he would have six children. As a wedding gift, his father-in-law gave the couple six slaves and the 300-acre Pine Slash Farm. Henry began a career as a planter until his home was destroyed by fire in 1757.[2] Henry made another attempt at business, which also failed, before deciding to become a lawyer in 1760.[2]

What it's supposed to look like
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
Back to top Go down
http://bottlesandrelics.blogspot.com/
jamt225
jamt225

PostSubject: Re: Not recently dug but recently ID'd   Not recently dug but recently ID'd I_icon_minitime12/13/2009, 10:08 pm

One sold at auction Scotland for this:

£110.00 Culloden 1746 copper medallion, the obverse showing relief profile of 'WILL:DUKE:CUMBERLAND' and the reverse with battle scene and 'REBELLION.JUSTLY.REWARDED', 3.5cm diameter [img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
Back to top Go down
jamt225
jamt225

PostSubject: Both sides   Not recently dug but recently ID'd I_icon_minitime12/14/2009, 1:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
R&R
Admin
R&R

PostSubject: Re: Not recently dug but recently ID'd   Not recently dug but recently ID'd I_icon_minitime12/14/2009, 2:02 pm

Awesome Find! I wonder if the other piece is out there somewhere?!

-Ian
Back to top Go down
https://researchandrecovery.forumotion.net
jamt225
jamt225

PostSubject: Re: Not recently dug but recently ID'd   Not recently dug but recently ID'd I_icon_minitime12/14/2009, 2:32 pm

I looked hard for it in the 70's but I never had a chance to look with the newer machines as it belongs to a preservation group now. I would love to have it recorded with the site, but have yet to find anyone interested.

Money is always the issue in these things. The Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond only has room to display 10% of the largest collection in the world! They are in the process of Building another museum at Appomattox VA, but that will only handle about 5% I think I read. Another Museum is planned in Fredericksburg but no money yet.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That's why your work is important. the virtual Museum is very important and many of the old relic hunters that cannot use computers and memories are fading need to be interviewed and their finds and stories documented to put these pieces of our history puzzle together. Thank God for the early relic hunters as the condition of finds today is night and day to those found 40 years ago. Liquid Chemical fertilizer and acid rain have a lot to do with it I believe.

At some point there is an end to CW relics being found.

Thanks for your efforts to preserve history.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not recently dug but recently ID'd   Not recently dug but recently ID'd I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not recently dug but recently ID'd
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RECOVERED Forum :: Discussions :: Just Recovered-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com