RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team
RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team
RECOVERED Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RECOVERED Forum

A place to discuss metal detecting, civil war relic hunting, and treasure hunting overall.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Preventing Wet Equipment

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
R&R
Admin
R&R

Preventing Wet Equipment Empty
PostSubject: Preventing Wet Equipment   Preventing Wet Equipment I_icon_minitime11/13/2009, 11:24 am

You head out for a great day of metal detecting with the hopes of finding the 'big one'. As soon as you get to your hunt site, the heavens open up with liquid sunshine. Mad

You still want to get out and swing a coil, but what about your detector? What we do is get a Ziploc sandwich bag with the zipper and put it over the display and then zip it closed. Next, we take a plastic grocery bag and wrap that around the detector's control box. There are some manufacturers that make environmental covers that will also work.

But what happens if your detector gets wet?

-Take the batteries out.
-Take to a dry area in your home.
-Tilt the detector to where the battery door is facing the ground.
-Wait at least 72 hours before replacing batteries and operating.

Also, a place a dehumidifier near your machine may work to get the dampness out of the detector quicker and more efficiently.

What do you do in this situation?

Ian
Back to top Go down
https://researchandrecovery.forumotion.net
Jerry SC

PostSubject: Preventing wet equipment   Preventing Wet Equipment I_icon_minitime12/8/2009, 7:20 pm

Ian, it is very critical on detectors such as the Tejon, 1266X and most Garretts to protect the battery compartment from water. I got caught in a rainstorm with a 1266 and even though I had the control box covered, water got in the battery compartment and corroded the contacts. I had a tough time cleaning them. Almost had to send it in for new ones. For this reason I prefer a detector that has everything together in one housing.
HH, Jerry
Back to top Go down
R&R
Admin
R&R

PostSubject: Re: Preventing Wet Equipment   Preventing Wet Equipment I_icon_minitime12/8/2009, 7:23 pm

Thanks Jerry! Definitely can understand what you mean about the water getting into the housing. Once those contacts get wet and corroded, it's a tough task to get them clean!

Thanks man!
-Ian
Back to top Go down
ninjim3

PostSubject: Re: Preventing Wet Equipment   Preventing Wet Equipment I_icon_minitime12/16/2009, 1:23 pm

Hey Ian. Here's 3 methods I use:
1.) Put a bunch of Silica Gel packets in with the MD in a tied plastic bag...you can get em' on the net in lots; I just collect 'em over the years in packaging for electronics, shoes, etc. and hang on to them. I also keep a couple in both my pinpointer and in the battery pack of my M6 & switch em out every month or so. Dry electronics work lots better.

2.) Seal the speaker hole with tape, other large holes too, and put the detector in a large bowl of uncooked rice. Cover it. Leave for a couple days. Coffee Grounds can do this too, but harder to clean off. Absorbs the excess moisture.

3.) Open the MD up and use a hairdryer on very low, or even cool...saved a couple cell-phones dropped in bath tubs giving my children baths. Don't use hot, or try to rush it...it'll fry the motherboard.

I also use the heavy duty gallon size freezer zip locks and plastic garbage bags around my MD if I even think it'll be 'spittin' out. Hope this helps!

-Jim (North Georgia Mountains)
Back to top Go down
R&R
Admin
R&R

PostSubject: Re: Preventing Wet Equipment   Preventing Wet Equipment I_icon_minitime12/17/2009, 9:36 am

ninjim3 wrote:
Hey Ian. Here's 3 methods I use:
1.) Put a bunch of Silica Gel packets in with the MD in a tied plastic bag...you can get em' on the net in lots; I just collect 'em over the years in packaging for electronics, shoes, etc. and hang on to them. I also keep a couple in both my pinpointer and in the battery pack of my M6 & switch em out every month or so. Dry electronics work lots better.

2.) Seal the speaker hole with tape, other large holes too, and put the detector in a large bowl of uncooked rice. Cover it. Leave for a couple days. Coffee Grounds can do this too, but harder to clean off. Absorbs the excess moisture.

3.) Open the MD up and use a hairdryer on very low, or even cool...saved a couple cell-phones dropped in bath tubs giving my children baths. Don't use hot, or try to rush it...it'll fry the motherboard.

I also use the heavy duty gallon size freezer zip locks and plastic garbage bags around my MD if I even think it'll be 'spittin' out. Hope this helps!

-Jim (North Georgia Mountains)

Thanks Jim! Those are some great tips!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preventing Wet Equipment   Preventing Wet Equipment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Preventing Wet Equipment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RECOVERED Forum :: Discussions :: General Discussion-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com