RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team
RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team
RECOVERED Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RECOVERED Forum

A place to discuss metal detecting, civil war relic hunting, and treasure hunting overall.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ian or Brian

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jerry SC

Ian or Brian Empty
PostSubject: Ian or Brian   Ian or Brian I_icon_minitime10/14/2010, 7:55 pm

What do you use to protect your MXT from rain ?

The meter pod is rain resistant but still I feel safer with a plastic bag over it.

The control box is more of a challenge. I know Kellyco sells covers for the MXT, but I have heard

the quality is not that great. Would some type of bag with drawstrings that would cover

the entire box and armrest be best ?
Back to top Go down
Ian
Staff
Ian

Ian or Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian or Brian   Ian or Brian I_icon_minitime10/14/2010, 8:20 pm

Brian may be able to answer this question a little better, but here is what I remember from him telling me about DIV and it raining...

I think he uses a couple of shower caps to cover the control box. White's is actually pretty good at securing the control box. My old XLT had been drenched with mud and water and it didn't have a cover on it at all. You couldn't see any of the black on the control box due to the mud. I cleaned it up and opened up the box to see what kinda of damage had happened...

It was completely clean and dry inside. But, I would definitely NOT chance it and use something like shower caps or plastic wal-mart bags.

I'm sure Brian will chime in soon... cyclops
Back to top Go down
Jerry SC

Ian or Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian or Brian   Ian or Brian I_icon_minitime10/14/2010, 8:36 pm

Thanks Ian,
My big concern is water getting into the battery compartment.

Had a bad experience with this happening with a Fisher 1266. Corrosion and rust started

forming within a couple of hours on the battery contacts after the water entered.

And looking at the battery compartment on the 1266 you would think it would be watertight.
Back to top Go down
Brian
Staff
Brian

Ian or Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian or Brian   Ian or Brian I_icon_minitime10/14/2010, 9:55 pm

Ian is correct. I've been using shower caps for some time now. Another digger at DIV told me to try it once and it's the best thing I've found so far. The reason being is they come in clear. This will let you see what your knobs are set to at all times. You can also still move your controls while its covered. They fit the MXT pretty good and you don't have to use tape or any other products to secure it to the detector. Pretty cheap and found at most stores give them a shot a see what you think.
Back to top Go down
dough
dough

Ian or Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian or Brian   Ian or Brian I_icon_minitime10/15/2010, 9:12 am

I travel a lot so I collect all the shower caps for my MD. But I also use the clear oven bags that you use for cooking turkeys and roasts in. They come in various sizes and are very strong and durable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ian or Brian Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian or Brian   Ian or Brian I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ian or Brian
Page 1 of 1