My shovel went to the beauty shop...

RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team

RECOVERED Forum

A place to discuss metal detecting, civil war relic hunting, and treasure hunting overall.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ian
Staff

PostSubject: My shovel went to the beauty shop...   10/12/2010, 11:34 am

It's getting close to DIV so I figured I would get my shovels ready for what could lie ahead. I've noticed that when it's raining outside, I can barely get any grip on my digging tools because they are smooth metal, especially after the paint job fades.

I sanded my Predator Tools Model 80 Relic Pro down to remove any rust and dirt. Sharpened the blade up a bit. After a thorough cleaning, I gave the handle and shaft a couple of coats of Rustoleum primer. This gives a nice finish and one that gives your gloves a little extra grip in wet conditions. I then gave the blade a couple of coats of Rustoleum gloss black. After the paint had dried, I waxed the blade using car wax.

In theory, if it's raining, this would help with the mud/clay sticking to the blade. I'm hoping we don't have to worry about the rain/snow, but it's good to plan ahead regardless. Here is the finished Model 80 sitting beside my Model 88 Hercules.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian
Staff

PostSubject: Re: My shovel went to the beauty shop...   10/12/2010, 9:08 pm

I will be dropping my shovels off at your place in the morning. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tom Henrique

PostSubject: Shovels   10/13/2010, 9:37 am

Ian,

I never leave home without my long handled Model 80 (Mr. T) and my Model 55 Pegasus (long handle). If you haven't tried the Pegasus it is great in tough soil and heavy roots. The narrow blade sinks into the ground like a warm knife in butter and pulls a perfect 8 inch plug and the long handles are a lot easier on old backs and shoulders.

Tom Henrique
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.baymediapro.com/collection
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My shovel went to the beauty shop...   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1