RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team
RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team
RECOVERED Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RECOVERED Forum

A place to discuss metal detecting, civil war relic hunting, and treasure hunting overall.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Metal Detecting Tip - Rural Land Hunting

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mlhudson
mlhudson

Metal Detecting Tip - Rural Land Hunting Empty
PostSubject: Metal Detecting Tip - Rural Land Hunting   Metal Detecting Tip - Rural Land Hunting I_icon_minitime12/17/2009, 3:57 pm

Most of you me know that I'm a relic hunter and being a relic hunter often requires me to hunt some rural parts of Tennessee and southern Kentucky. Here is a tip that I have picked up along the way that has really helped me and I hope that it will help you too.

After I receive permission to hunt on a property I will always ask the landowner if they know of any old house sites on their land and if there are any springs. If the Civil War soldiers were in the area that you are searching, and there was a Civil War era house or a spring there, then there is a good chance that they either camped near the spring or they camped around the house. Even if they didn't camp there, they probably visited the house or the spring.

A lot of farmers that I talk to know where old house sites are or were that you won't find on any old maps. It's always a good idea to check them. If nothing else, you might dig some old coins and other stuff. The same holds true when searching around springs. Always hunt on the high ground above the spring. So remember, once you get permission to metal detect ask if any old houses sat on their land at one time and ask about any springs on their place. It will save you a lot of time if you can go right to these places - and they will pay off, I promise.

Good luck and good hunting.

by: Donnie Vaughn
Back to top Go down
http://www.umdca.webs.com

Metal Detecting Tip - Rural Land Hunting
Page 1 of 1