RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team
RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team
RECOVERED Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RECOVERED Forum

A place to discuss metal detecting, civil war relic hunting, and treasure hunting overall.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Soldiers gold ring

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jamt225
jamt225

Soldiers gold ring Empty
PostSubject: Soldiers gold ring   Soldiers gold ring I_icon_minitime12/13/2009, 3:06 pm

I recently found a soldiers ring at the battle of Cold Harbor. I believe the soldier was in Merritt's Brigade near Beulah Church, night of May 31 64', and morning of June 1 64'. I am finding a lot of melted lead, drop 3 ringers, shot confederate bullets(gardners, enfields, round balls, etc.) along with shrapnel and small canister shot. I found a rifleman Eagle R cuff about 20 feet from the ring, and believe the troops are part of the 2nd US Calvary.

I believe this the action area I am searching:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The command was counter-marched and reoccupied the old breastworks before daylight. About 0600, June 1, the Confederate infantry made a desperate assault on the reserve brigade but were handsomely repulsed by Merritt’s men. After a second unsuccessful assault, the enemy made no further attempt until the cavalry was relieved by the Sixth Corps at 1000. Sheridan’s force then marched to Prospect Church and went into camp.

Image:

Notice Wesley Merritt's pinky ring here:

I'm trying to learn more about the symbolism of the ring and what the design on the sides of the stone shield are. My best guess is a torch and wreath?

The Bloodstone apparently represents, bravery and courage and is the hero's gemstone. The shield is either representative of the US Shield or Protection or both. Bloodstone also stood for protection from bleeding or hemorrhage. The torch is representative of eternal life and truth, the wreath victory. Wheat could be the symbol of prosperity. At least from what I have found on the net.

Any further help in my research would be greatly appreciated. Especially on what troops may have worn the Eagle R in 2nd US Calvary under Merritt.

Here is a link to a similar ring, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mine does not have an inscription unfortunately.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
Back to top Go down
http://bottlesandrelics.blogspot.com/
R&R
Admin
R&R

Soldiers gold ring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldiers gold ring   Soldiers gold ring I_icon_minitime12/13/2009, 5:41 pm

Thanks for posting this on here, Tom!

We're looking around right now to see what we can find. If anyone else knows anything, please post!

-Ian
Back to top Go down
https://researchandrecovery.forumotion.net
jamt225
jamt225

Soldiers gold ring Empty
PostSubject: 2nd NY Mounted Rifles?   Soldiers gold ring I_icon_minitime12/13/2009, 7:09 pm

I found this information

Private Phillips in this photo is wearing a pinky ring

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

NEW YORK

* Infantry: 3rd, 7th, 10th, 12th, 34th, 39th, 40th, 42nd, 43rd, 44th, 46th, 47th, 48th, 49th, 51st, 57th, 59th, 61st, 62nd, 63rd, 64th, 65th, 66th, 67th, 69th, 70th, 71st, 72nd, 73rd, 74th, 76th, 77th, 80th, 82nd, 83rd, 86th, 88th, 89th, 92nd, 93rd, 94th, 95th, 96th, 97th, 98th, 104th, 106th, 108th, 109th, 111th, 112th, 115th, 117th, 118th, 120th, 121st, 122nd, 124th, 125th, 126th, 139th, 140th, 142nd, 146th, 147th, 148th, 151st, 152nd, 155th, 164th, 169th, 170th, 182nd Regiments; 1st Bn. Sharpshooters.
* Cavalry: 1st, 2nd, 2nd Mounted Rifles (dismounted), 4th, 5th, 6th, 9th, 10th, 19th, 24th (dismounted) Regiments; Oneida Cav.
* Artillery, Heavy: 2nd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 14th, 15th Regiments.
* Artillery, Field: 1st, 3rd, 4th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 19th, 27th, 34th Batteries; 15th Horse Artillery.
Back to top Go down
http://bottlesandrelics.blogspot.com/
Brian
Staff
Brian

Soldiers gold ring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldiers gold ring   Soldiers gold ring I_icon_minitime12/13/2009, 7:58 pm

Great post and Fantastic find!

This is one of the more interesting items I've seen dug recently. It's very unique and looks like your doing your research to find all the information you can about it. My first thought at seeing the ring is the design of the shield closely resembles the 9th Corps Dept of Ohio, Army of the Potomac design. One other interesting thing about this Idea is that the 9th Corps was adopted in April 10th, 1864. This places this design being adopted just a little over a month before the date you think it was lost. Here is a pic below of a 9th Corps badge.

Again congrats on a Fantastic find. WOW!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
R&R
Admin
R&R

Soldiers gold ring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldiers gold ring   Soldiers gold ring I_icon_minitime12/14/2009, 12:59 pm

Hey Tom,

I sent you an email with some information pertaining to the ring..
-Ian
Back to top Go down
https://researchandrecovery.forumotion.net
Rando
Rando

Soldiers gold ring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldiers gold ring   Soldiers gold ring I_icon_minitime12/17/2009, 12:10 am

Oh man. There is NOTHING like a personal relic with a little history...
Awesome find.
Back to top Go down
craig
craig

Soldiers gold ring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldiers gold ring   Soldiers gold ring I_icon_minitime12/17/2009, 2:22 pm

I agree great finds.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourhistoryproject.com
Sponsored content

Soldiers gold ring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldiers gold ring   Soldiers gold ring I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soldiers gold ring
Page 1 of 1