*POLL* What is wrong with this picture?

RECOVERED Forum
Welcome to the RECOVERED forum! Feel free to browse the information here. If you wish to post a message, please log-in or register for a free account!

Thanks,
The R&R Team

RECOVERED Forum

A place to discuss metal detecting, civil war relic hunting, and treasure hunting overall.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: *POLL* What is wrong with this picture?   12/8/2009, 7:29 pm

Curious to see what you all think may or may not be wrong with this picture.
Leave your thoughts in a comment below!
Thanks in advance,
Ashlie
Back to top Go down
drdavemxt

PostSubject: poll question   12/9/2009, 12:41 am

A very intelligent young lady I know (who shall remain anonymous) says "you NEVER point a bright light at old pictures"
I don't know if that's the right answer but there are more things wrong with the way this stuff is displayed -- just not sure what pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mlhudson

PostSubject: Re: *POLL* What is wrong with this picture?   12/9/2009, 11:44 am

I would say the incandesent (light) is the problem, and then the open (wooden )display case
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.umdca.webs.com
R&R
Admin

PostSubject: Re: *POLL* What is wrong with this picture?   12/10/2009, 7:35 pm

mlhudson wrote:
...and then the open (wooden )display case

Mark- are you saying the display case being open is a problem, the display case being wooden is a problem, or both?

View user profile http://researchandrecovery.forumotion.net
mlhudson

PostSubject: Re: *POLL* What is wrong with this picture?   12/12/2009, 11:05 am

BOTH, OF COURSE
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.umdca.webs.com

PostSubject: Re: *POLL* What is wrong with this picture?   12/14/2009, 10:54 pm

Keep the answers coming, guys! There are still things that haven't been mentioned, and there are a few things we can debate!
Back to top Go down
Butch Holcombe

PostSubject: Hmmm.....   12/15/2009, 7:22 pm

Ok, just my humble take: The light is a definate problem, both in heat and brightness. A better solution would be indirect lighting. Also, the cards are loose, and easily seperated from the photos. Then, the cards on that velvet are going to cause a "photo" effect, ie velvet will be brighter under card because it is protected. For that matter, cases should be closed if possible (but then how do you display the images?). Also, is that a layer of plastic I see inder the photo cases? Hmmm...I would avoid that.
Also, the Confederate images are touching the Yankee images. That is plain ol' wrong. Geesh Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
craig

PostSubject: Re: *POLL* What is wrong with this picture?   12/16/2009, 9:05 pm

I can not add much to whats being said but I agree the light, the wooden case for both being open and displayed in. It being open can drop causing damage. And, being left in, I really don't know but listening to Ashlie last week on the RRupdate wood is never good so I'm pretty sure thats a no-no too. Shrug
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ourhistoryproject.com
drdavemxt

PostSubject: Re: *POLL* What is wrong with this picture?   12/16/2009, 10:57 pm

Butch Holcombe wrote:
Ok, just my humble take:
the Confederate images are touching the Yankee images. That is plain ol' wrong. Geesh Mad

THIS IS THE WINNING ANSWER RIGHT HERE !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rando

PostSubject: Re: *POLL* What is wrong with this picture?   12/17/2009, 12:12 am

Among those mentioned, the WAY they are displayed, placing stress on the hinge as well as the instability are nonos...
Can't see the bubble wrap adding much support.
Also the tags on the tops under the bright lights could cause some nasty 'fade" lines...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: *POLL* What is wrong with this picture?   12/17/2009, 9:21 pm

In lieu of appearing on tonight's show with my lovely head cold, I'm posting here.

Overall, you guys did very well! You even noticed things I didn't in the photograph, so I'm giving everyone an A+!

I'll go over the photo with my biggest concerns first, then I'll address things y'all mentioned.
1) The light! ACK! No light should ever be placed that close to any sort of photograph, much less ones that are that old. Yes, heat from the proximity of the light is a problem too, but fading is our biggest issue here.
2) Displaying the individual image cases open like that is pretty awful, too, but it's better than having people open and close them all day long.

Things you guys mentioned:
1) The exhibit case being wood:
Wood is only problematic for porous items like metals, papers, etc. Keep in mind that in one of these little photo cases, you potentially have silver, leather, fabric, and wood; plastic, copper, and fabric; and many other combinations. Honestly, mixed material items are the toughest to figure out how to display. I'll get to how these photos should have been displayed in just a bit.

2) The velvet + light = fade:
Yes, you are correct here, but I think it would take a month of consecutive days to see fading. The displayer wouldn't need these tags if done how I describe in just a bit.

3) The plastic/bubble wrap holding the individual cases open:
Plastic isn't as harmful as you guys think. If I remember correctly, there are seven types of archivally safe plastics, and only two that aren't. I'm honestly impressed that this displayer went to the trouble of propping the lids up, because that is preventing more harm to the individual cases than if they were left laying flat.

I hope that's addressed everything.

Now, here's what I would do if these were mine:

1) I would set up an area in my home to take high-quality photos of each of these photos. (Exposure to light once for a short amount of time is MUCH better than being left open all day.)
2) I would have color prints made from the photos.
2.5) For the next few steps, if you're not an adventurous DIY-type, I might seek the help of a librarian, archivist, or conservator.
3) Close each case and lay it flat. Measure its dimensions. You're about to make a four-flap enclosure, which looks roughly like this:

Image from Conservation by Design, Ltd.

If you'd like specific directions on making a four flap enclosure, visit this page.

4) The idea here is that you put each image in its four flap enclosure and store them all in a box. Here's a picture to give you an idea:

Image from Hollinger Metal Edge.

5) On the outside of each enclosure, you can write the specific information for each photo. You can see that the info was written like this:

Image from Meridian Magazine.

6) If you're taking your collection of photos to a show or sale, display the prints you've made! This lessens the environmental and handling damage that can occur. On the back of each print, write information that will help you find the enclosed image that is safely stored away in its box.

I hope y'all have found this helpful. If there's a preservation topic you'd like me to cover, or if you ever need help or have questions, feel free to email me (ashlie@researchandrecoveryshow.com).
Back to top Go down
Rando

PostSubject: Re: *POLL* What is wrong with this picture?   12/18/2009, 12:55 pm

Good post, Ashlie.
I've got one of those head colds as well. 'Tis the season, lol....

You wouldn't BELIEVE how many photos end up ruined because people just don't take the time and research to preserve them.

Something as simple as non or low acid paper can make the difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *POLL* What is wrong with this picture?   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1